The Moth helps people connect with their own power as a storyteller, and with one another. Our mission is to honor the diversity and commonality of human experience through the art and craft of storytelling.
Our energetic team is made up of directors and producers, archivists and educators with a passion for stories and community building through storytelling.
The Moth seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at The Moth are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Moth brings storytelling opportunities to people from a variety of communities. Candidates with a commitment to supporting diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Teaching Artist, Education Program
Part Time | Based in NYC | Applications Due January 13, 2017
We are looking for engaging and empathetic leaders with a passion for storytelling and for working with young people. As a teaching artist, you will be placed in one or more after school residencies with our performance program, as well as other possible opportunities in conferences, professional development workshops and others.
- Facilitate Moth-designed curriculum (which is flexible but focused) with high school students in grades 10-12 in public schools and out of school in NYC
- Coordinate scheduling with students and faculty advisors
- Communicate regularly with partners, students and program managers
- Attend paid instructor trainings and adhere to safety protocols
- Assist with production of school story shows as needed
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree
- At least 2 years prior experience as teacher, teaching artist, or comparable community work
- Previous performance experience preferred- storytelling or other performance form
- Cultural humility and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
Selected applicants will be invited to interview briefly by phone, and then in an in-person interview. In the in-person interview, applicants will be asked to share a 5-minute Moth story of their own and to talk through a sample 5-minute lesson or activity for high school students. Once hired, Teaching Artists will be invited to attend an orientation and training before being placed in one of our partner schools/organizations.
Fill out this questionnaire and upload your resume here: https://mothstories.typeform.com/to/c7IDLd
Applications for our Spring internships have closed. We will post Fall internships in May, 2017.
The Moth hires for two internship cycles, Spring (January-June) and Fall (July-December). Each cycle we seek five interns. One StorySLAM Intern, one Mainstage Intern one Multimedia Intern one Community & Education Intern and one Development Intern. We are looking for applicants with a strong work ethic, a desire to learn new skills in production and a passion for stories and community building through storytelling.